July 27, 2005
What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?
Most people know what they want to be when they grow up at some point in their first couple of years of college. If not, they choose something bland and boring like business management just so they can get a degree. I am not one of those people. I went to college as a journalism major. One journalism class was enough for me to know that it was not my cup of tea. I then spent several years taking art classes and majoring in 'campusology'. After doing that for a while, I decided to quit wasting money until I decided on a direction.

After marrying, I thought, 'I'll be a teacher!' It seemed like a good idea. I would have the same schedule as my future children, and a month or two off during the year. It's not a bad gig, teaching. I took some classes... Then I quit again. I wasn't necessarily enthralled by the idea of being a teacher. I mean, if I did it, I think I would do a good job of it, but I certainly hold no passion for it.

Fast forward a couple of more years. Here I am, recently turned age 31, and I have finally decided what I want to be when I grow up. Seriously! After 109 college credit hours and 13 years since graduating high school, I know what I want to be. Did you hear me? 109 hours! 13 years!

Guess what I'm going to be when I grow up? A librarian!

That's right, a librarian. I love to read, organize and research. I love books. I love to walk amongst them and just look at them. I love the way they smell. I love the crackling of turning pages as someone near me reads. How could it have taken me so long to see that this is the perfect thing for me? I mean seriously, I have even considered enlisting the Dewy Decimal system for use in our house, and somehow it still escaped me that I might ought to go into Library Science.

I'm not always exceptionally quick, as you might have guessed by now.

Naturally, there is not a single accredited school in Arkansas. Such is my luck. However, there are several accredited master's programs that are offered entirely over the internet. Now all I have to do is figure out how to turn my 109 hard- earned hours into some sort of degree that can get me into graduate school. Perhaps I should have gone for a business management degree....