August 24, 2005
But Mom, I Don't Want To Pick Up The Rattlesnake...
iAudio, I think I love you...
I was finally able to try out my new MP3 player at the gym this morning (i.e., Hatchling didn't look contagious, so I could take him to daycare). I must say, it made my time on the treadmill much more enjoyable! I started listening to The Crocodile On The Sandbank, and I chuckled through my cardio program. I suspect the 60-something woman next to me, who could have crushed my fragile bones betwixt her incredibly muscular thighs, thought I was quite mad. I didn't really care though, I was having a good time. I can't wait till my happy electric blue case gets here. Then I'll really be stylin'...

House Schmouse...
I am showing our house again this afternoon. A lady who looked at it last week is bringing her daughter to see it. Yesterday, a couple that had been here 3 or 4 times already came back for another look. They are the ones who don't want to get a loan. People. Anyway, hopefully it will sell soon. I'm tired of being clean all the time!

Mean People...
Leonardo and I have been wanting some Destinos DVD's. They were made by PBS to learn Spanish, and they are so good that many universities are now using them as their Spanish I and II programs. Sadly, it's about $500 to get them all.We turned to our friend eBay, and we won an auction for only $150. Within minutes of the auction ending, the seller emailed L and said that because the last person couldn't pay him and left him bad feedback, this auction didn't go for enough money and if L was honest he would not leave this man bad feedback and that he wasn't going to sell us the DVD's. L responded that the honest thing to do was to honor EBay's User Agreement and sell us the DVD's. The man's second email started off by calling L a name I will not use here.

So, the man is not selling us the DVD's (even though we offered to pay more, he thinks it is just too much trouble) and we get nothing. We didn't lose anything, but it just sucks when people are mean to you. I don't know why I'm bothered, he was mean to L, not me. I guess I just take that personally too. Why are people so mean?

Snake Handlers...
I read an interesting book yesterday. It is called Salvation on Sand Mountain: Snake Handling and Redemption in Southern Appalachia and it's about (you guessed it!) snake handlers. I saw the author on TV a while back and thought it would be an interesting read. It is fascinating that this whole sub-culture thrives so close to us. I had no idea. I also had no idea that Appalachia was so poor. I guess I am pretty well insulated from poverty in NW Arkansas. Anyway, it's an easy read for anyone interested in the freaky. These people not only handle snakes, but they also drink strychnine and play with fire. Sounds like a great place to send your kids for summer camp, doesn't it?