August 31, 2005
Mom's Work Really Is Never Done
I don't feel like being a mom today.

Not because I have anything better to do, but just because I don't feel like it. Does anyone else ever feel like that? I'd just like to be alone, maybe go to the Library and spend an hour deciding what I want to read this week without once wishing the ground would open up and swallow me to save me from the shame of my child alternately screaming, arching his back to escape his stroller, and pulling every book he can get his hands on off the shelf. Or, I'd like to go to the mall and spend a whole check on things I don't need, silly things, like underwear and shoes and handbags.

Alas, I am a mom. Every. Single. Day. And every night, too. It's the best thing that ever happened to me, don't get me wrong (well, except for the corporate re-structure of body fat which took place during my pregnancy... that I could really have done without).

I think one of the hardest things about being a mom is how your job is never, ever done. Sure, the kid has to sleep sometime, but that is when you are able to get housework done, make phone calls, shower, and do whatever else it is you need to do. There's just not much me time.

Is it incredibly selfish for someone fortunate enough to stay at home with their child to want "me time?" I suspect my husband would think so. He would say that if I wanted "me time", I was more than welcome to get a job and spend lots of time away from Hatchling. That's not what I want, of course. I'd just like a break, sometimes.

Women, it sure is hard to keep us happy! The good news is, I still haven't had any sugar or caffeine, and I don't even think I'm crabby. My husband might argue this point, but then what does he really know anyway? =)
6 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'd comment but I don't have enough time. Got to go feed my kids. ha ha haaaa

Blogger Kassi Gilbert said...
I totally know where you are coming from. Mom's work 24/7. There is no such thing as "me time" usually...which is so the reason why I became a Mary Kay beauty consultant. At least my "me time" is paying me some money as well...so that I can spend my "me" money at the mall...on a book...so I can read...when I have some time. HA

Blogger m said...
Those thoughts go through my head some days too. I find that it's hard to switch out of mommy mode when I finally do go out with friends or have a moment by myself when hubbie is in town. It's like I'm so used to it that I forget how to be - me. Heh - and I'm glad you mentioned the nap thing - my husband always comments "well, she takes a nap!" True, but I spend it scurrying around the house making calls, picking up, doing dishes, laundry, the bathrooms...and then she's awake. Oh how restful that nap was. LOL.

Blogger m said...
Oh - and congrats on the no sugar or caffine - that is awesome!!

Blogger ~cjoy said...
I don't want to be a mom this week, either. I'm plain worn out. And how bad is it that I'm thrilled preschool starts next week? Then, I'll only have one at home 4 half-days a week. Whew.

On the sugar thing. I've lost some weight doing that (just barely over 2 weeks now!)...but, I fear I have not cut out the caffiene. Yet. It's been slowly occurring to me. But I use it to WAKE UP (only a coffee thing in the first part of the day). Maybe I'll cut back on it for now. I am reading EVERY label for 'sugar' or 'fructose corn syrup', etc. Yikes.

Glad I'm not alone in leaving the sugar behind!

Blogger Carbon said...
Yuppers. I'm in the same boat. I luv my kid but would luv to be alone to do anything or nothing sometimes. Funny how mothers always feel some sort of guilt for this! It's nuts.