August 8, 2005
Throwing Your Pearls Before Swine
Let me preface this post by telling you that I went to a Christian school, where it was ingrained into my head by one Mr. White that the NASB was the real and true word of God. While I don't necessarily stick to that point today, it is my favorite, and, in my humble opinion, the most accurate version of the Bible. And I feel a little guilty every time I look at another version.

Lately, I have been enjoying reading the Message, so I got a parallel Bible of it and the NASB so I could compare them side-by-side. I was recently reading that verse (Matt. 7:6) about throwing your pearls before swine, and here is how it reads in the Message:

"Don't be flip with the sacred. Banter and silliness give no honor to God. Don't reduce holy mysteries to slogans. In trying to be relevant, you're only being cute and inviting sacrilege."

I'm not sure if that is a remotely correct translation of the verse, but I must say, if it wasn't in the Bible before, I'm glad it is now. Every time I drive by some small little church with a stupid saying on it, I cringe. Really, doesn't the world find enough ammunition to use against Christians without us freely declaring "Prevent Burn. Use Son block?"

Just some food for thought...
1 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I really appreciate people like you who take their chance in such an excellent way to give an impression on certain topics. Thanks for having me here.