February 8, 2006
Elmo in (almost) Every Paragraph
I've just returned from Wal-Mart (where I scored a killer parking space)with all the fixings for Hatchling's Elmo Extravaganza (i.e., birthday party), which is to take place on Saturday. Since I was a slacker and didn't actually MAIL invitations, I'm trying to go big on the cake. In my own defense, I had actually purchased the invitations, but with the little man being in the hospital and then having to move the party forward a weekend so my SIL and niece could be here, well, not everything got done.

We are ready for the cake though! If all goes well, the cake will look like this:

Because I realize that nothing ever goes well when you are depending on it to, I will be happy if Hatchling can recognize it is Elmo and shout "el-MO!" in his own special way. Then I am sure my hours of underpaid labor will be worth it.

Hatchling has been shouting something else lately, too. He frequently spouts off with something that sounds awfully close to "OOOHHH GAWD!" Now, neither my husband nor myself believe in taking the Lord's name in vain. No one in my family says that. Nor does Hatchling watch any television in which that is featured. All I can think of is that he must be saying something else, but I sure don't know what it is. He shouted it at Wal-Mart today and I got a rather scathing look from a nice old lady. "I promise, I didn't teach him that!", I wanted to say.

I am trying to teach the boy to say "I love Mommy." Yesterday, he would repeat "I," then "love," and then he would shout "ELMO!" Oh yes, I know my place in his heart. Right below Elmo and bananas. I should remind him who it was that came to save when he accidentally locked himself in his room this morning. It wasn't Elmo's name he was shouting then, now was it?

6 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...
I wanted to tell you to head over to Blogher, under the Mommy and Family section...they are looking for Mommy made crafts (your bags!) for Valentine's gifts....

Blogger SlushTurtle said...
Thanks!!!

Blogger Jill said...
Oh my, this could be my story. My daughter's second birthday is Friday, party is Saturday, and guess who bought invites and didn't mail them. Yep. Me. Haven't found a cake yet either. The theme is the Wiggles since they make her scream (in a good/giggly sort of way). Wish me luck on finding someone that can make a Wiggles cake!!

Blogger Katrina said...
Wow! Add me to the list of those who are throwing birthday parties on Saturday! Mine's actually doing double duty--my daughter turned 7 last week and my son is turning 3 Saturday, so they're sharing the party, which has a Superheroes theme!

I'm sorry to say I'm skimping on the cake (it will be a boring from-the-box layer cake with action figures posed on top), but hope to make up the lost points with the superhero capes I sewed for the party guests to decorate and take home.

I love the Elmo cake, Slush--I'm sure it will turn out beautifully, and you and Elmo will be running a tight race in your little one's heart!

Blogger Carbon said...
My kiddo's another month and a half away from 2... so I'm guessing I better get started!

Good luck with the Elmo cake. I'm sure it will turn out great.

Blogger Mom Tu-Tu said...
My little boy's ELMO birthday party is a week from this Saturday. I'm going to do Elmo cupcakes. It's so cute when he sees his birthday stuff and says "Melmo." His own version or Elmo!