March 23, 2006
Drudgery, Smudgery
Have I mentioned recently how much I HATE to iron? We are talking real hate here, people. I mean hate like with the burning fire of a thousand hot suns. Hate, hate, hate.

In general, I don't iron my clothes. If something has to be ironed, I iron it about 2 minutes before fastening it on my body. These items seem to hang in my closet with very little usage. L is a bit more picky. He wants all of this clothes ironed before they are hung up, and he expects them to magically stay crisp looking. Sadly for him, he did not marry a person who has the gift of making clothes look crisp and neat. I feel as if I have accomplished something if they are not glaringly wrinkled.

I used to send all of his stuff to the cleaner's. I know, that is incredibly wasteful. But I tell you, it was TOTALLY worth it. He was happy, I was happy, the little person at the cleaner's was happy. Really, I was just doing my best to promote a healthy economy. Someone was probably laid-off by my becoming a stay-at-home mom.

And now, I must go and do some ironing, or else L might divorce me (I'm a little behind on that particular aspect my housekeeping regimen). If I had to iron as a full- time job, I think I would commit suicide.
7 Comments:
Blogger Andria said...
Hmmm... I'm with you there! Have you considered maybe getting a steamer? You won't have crisp creases but then you won't have wrinkles either. It could be the best of both worlds for you and your hubby.

Good luck!

Blogger Amy said...
I couldn't agree with you more. I haven't ironed in years. If it doesn't become wrinkle free in 10 minutes in the hot dryer, I'm.not.wearing.it. But I don't have a boy to please, so I understand your predicament.

P.S. I used to steam when I worked retail p/t and I hated it as much as ironing. Just as tedious.

May the Force Be With you on This one. Reward yourself when you're done with something you love!

Blogger ~cjoy said...
For me, it's unloading the dishwasher. LOATHE it. On the other hand, I grew up around a family where the mom ironed for stress-relief. Yeah, it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

But, I iron very poorly, creating more creases than it starts with, and the heat makes them harder to get out, so if my husband needs a crisp shirt, he irons it himself. Yup. A man and a half. Mostly, though, we just keep the people at the cleaner's happy. Very happy--he needs pressed slacks, too, for work.

Blogger lawyerchik said...
It sounds like you need to work out some kind of barter system with Angi and Miss Bad Penny! :)

My most loathesome chore is cleaning the bathroom. I still swear that if I ever meet a man who is willing to clean my bathroom for me, I'm his for life!!

Blogger Carbon said...
I hate ironing and don't do it. If I'm washing work shirt for the hubby, I take them out of the dryer after about 5-10 minutes and hang it while it's slightly moist. Voila, no wrinkles = no ironing! YAY!

Sometimes I forget to take it out of the dryer so I refresh and if that doesn't work, I just start over and rewash it :)

NO WAY I'M IRONING! ICK.

Blogger Katrina said...
Here, here! I do actually own an iron, I think, but it's probably hopelessly encrusted with crayon wax from those old crayon shavings art projects.

Another use for the iron of which I approve: making grilled cheese sandwiches. Thank you, Benny and Joon!

Blogger Jill said...
I don't mind ironing, I just don't like the amount of time it takes to do ONE garment!! Geez!!! Although my ironing board AND my iron broke last week all in one fell swoop, so I had to get new ones. I got fun stuff to make my job a little easier and it actually has been fun. I got a retractable cord on my iron and I think maybe I'm having a bit too much fun with it? I don't know.