August 21, 2006
It feels like waiting for Christmas
My toenails are painted "Who comes up with these names?" My swimsuit and beach towels are packed. Hatchling's new "plane toys" eagerly wait to be broken in.

We're ready to go. Well, except for L, who at present only has his swim suit and boxers packed. He will have to pick out the rest of his clothes on his own, but I am sure that I will pack them nicely for him, cause that's the kind of wife I am. Especially when he's the kind of husband taking me to Hawaii...

We told Hatchling last week that we were going to ride on an airplane, ride a choo choo (at the Dole Plantation), and drop by Magnum's house. He has been out of control with excitement ever since. Every morning I awake to a small yell from upstairs- "Mommy! I ride on AIRPLANE! Choo Choo, Mama! Magnum?"

Every single day. And tomorrow's the day. I have some apprehensions about the plane ride. It is hard for me to sit still for that long, and Hatchling is far more active than I. Last year he had just turned one when we went, and he wasn't quite walking yet. We gave him Benadryl and he slept the entire way there and the entire way back. Please, no comments about how evil I am for drugging my child... Daddy is a pharmacist and his pediatrician knows all about it... and if you had to ride on a plane with us, you would thank me... We are taking the Benadryl again, here's hoping it works as well.

When I became concerned that we wouldn't be able to have the bottle of liquid silence with us and I looked at the TSA sight, I ran across some rather interesting information. You are allowed to take small quantities of non-prescription medicine on the plane, such as cough medicine, allergy medicine, or KY Jelly. Yes, you read that right. You can't take lip gloss, but you can take your KY, just in case you have a mile high emergency. And I think that is the thought I will leave you with. I may or may not be blogging from paradise- Aloha.
8 Comments:
Blogger Lisa said...
Hey, even Rick Steve's in his "Europe Through the Back Door" book advocates child drugging for long plane rides. It's the only sane way to look at it! Have fun!

Blogger ~cjoy said...
Haha! I was going to SUGGEST a bit of Benadryl, but that was the next paragraph, so I don't need to advocate it. :)

As I will be flying Labor Day weekend (to Arkansas--I changed my flight from last month), the whole liquid thing has me wondering about traveling with a one year old...but, at least I can bring that KY. Great tip. hahahahah!

I hope your trip is absolutely lovely--the plane ride and the stay in Hawaii...

Blogger Damselfly said...
Hmm, do they allow KY jelly because of the phrase "make love, not war"?

Blogger Damselfly said...
Have a great time! Aloha!

Blogger lawyerchik said...
Hope you have a wonderful trip, and a great time in HI!! If you run into said Magnum, please tell him I said "hi" (not that he will know me, but you know how it is...)

:) Enjoy!!

Blogger Amy said...
Have a great trip, don't worry about us, we'll be fine while you're gone. You did leave lasagne in the fridge, right? Anywho - drug your child, anything to make the trip more enjoyable for all. Have a great time and don't even think about us until you get back - but then think of us and tell us all abou it!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I was surprised and delighted to hear from you...I hope you totally enjoy your vacation!

Blogger Carbon said...
Have a great time! I've been to Hawaii twice and it's always good there.