November 3, 2006
A Letter to My Second Son
Dearest H2,

I hope this finds you well. We heard the news that you were gaining weight on Monday, and Mommy was so proud of you. What a good little boy you are to eat all those bottles! I feel so blessed that I was able to be there for your first growth spurt. I will miss so many of your firsts, so that made it all the more special. I'm sorry about all the missing I am going to do. I hope that you will understand I would have been there if I could have.

I know in my heart that you are being well cared for by your foster mother. I could see from the way she looked at you that your Mommy Flor was already in love with you. Don't feel bad about giving her your heart as well. I want you to be close to her and bond to her, not only because it will help your emotional development later in life, but also because it will make you happy. And I want you to be happy, my sweet, sweet son.

Your big brother was excited to see us when we got home, but he is wondering where this baby brother everyone talks about actually is. He thinks maybe we need to go get you Wal-Mart, which is reasonable, seeing as how we go there multiple times a week and they do seem to have everything else we need. You'll become intimately acquainted with the place once you get home- Mommy can't seem to make just one trip a week there, no matter how mad Daddy gets at her. She has some sort of deficiency in her brain. You'll come to realize that soon enough too, I'm afraid.

Daddy and I are leaving soon to go to Mexico, which is just North of your beautiful country. It kills me that we will be so close to you, yet unable to hold you in our arms. If it weren't so dangerous, we would just get in a car and drive on down. Perhaps it is better in the end though, because leaving you is so hard. Of course, that is complete rubbish. If I had the chance, I would leave you as often as I could, because it would mean that I had seen you before the leaving. But I can pretend that is better this way and maybe make myself feel better. I dreamed last night that plane tickets from here to you were only $230, so Daddy let us all come down for a whole week of your delightful company. It was such a wonderful dream, and I was thoroughly enjoying it before I was awakened by your big brother's announcement (in the form of a yell from upstairs) that he had pooped. You and I should both be praying that he is potty trained before you come home- otherwise neither one of us will get any sleep.

I will be thinking about you next Friday when you go to your 1 month doctor's visit. I bet you are even bigger than you were this week! And I am sure the doctor will proclaim you to be practically perfect in every way. How could he not? I can't remember if you get shots at one month or not, but in case you do, don't worry, they just hurt for a minute. Then they are over and you get extra snuggles. Really, it's not such a bad gig.

Well, Mommy has to go finish packing now. I sure miss you. I definitely left part of my heart in Guatemala. Take good care of it for me, okay?

Loving you from afar,
Mommy
4 Comments:
Blogger Katrina said...
Oh, Slush, he's beautiful! Those eyes, that quizzical look...this post just brought tears to my eyes!

I am praying for you guys, that your time apart will pass quickly and that everything will go smoothly.

Thank you for sharing this amazing journey with all of us who read you.

Blogger Unknown said...
Oh my GOODNESS! Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.

I can't wait to hear more. And I can't wait for you to tell us your son is home.

OH! I'm so very happy for you!

Blogger Amy said...
awwww, I am so very happy for all of the Slush family!

Blogger Damselfly said...
Oh, this almost makes me cry. It must be so hard to be so far away from him.