November 1, 2006
Welcome to November!
Not a SINGLE UNICEF trick-or-treater dared knock on my door last night. I'm strangely disappointed. I mean, I'm obviously glad that they weren't rampant (or maybe they were warned to avoid our house by the newsletter staff!), but at the same time, I wanted to change someone's mind. And I was feeling pretty scrappy, dangit. Ah well, there's always next year to look forward to!

We leave for Mexico on Saturday morning. We are embarking on our yearly mission trip (and, if you remember, the impetus for our adoption). This year will be a little different, in that we will be in the remote mountains instead of a city of 5 million. I suspect we will be "roughing it". Most of the week, L and I are sharing a room with another couple (whom we have yet to meet). That should be interesting.

Normally I really look forward to this trip, almost as much as I do a "real" vacation. This year, having just returned from Guatemala, I'm not as ready to go as usual. I hate leaving Hatchling again so soon. He was saying, "I lost my mommy and I can't find her" when we were in GC. I am afraid he will think we aren't coming back. Also, his behavior has been far from desirable lately. I think it is a combination of being sick and the general upheaval he senses in our household, along with the fact that he is two. Whatever it is, he is not my sweet boy much of the time these days. However, I read 1-2-3 Magic yesterday, and I am hoping that three good days of following it will lick him into shape before I pawn him off on poor Aunt Brookie. My optimism is staggering, I know.

How do you get rid of your jack-o-lanterns? Cut them up and put them down the garbage disposal? Put them in the trash? Leave them outside so teenagers can bust them all over your porch? Bust them all over the porches of neighbors who let their dogs poo on your lawn?
6 Comments:
Blogger lawyerchik said...
Send them to UNICEF??? :)

Sorry to hear that Hatchling is not feeling well and that he's a bit apprehensive about your trip.

Hopefully, Hatchling will be OK with Aunt Brookie, and maybe you can talk to him on the phone every day so that he knows you haven't forgotten him???

If there is something he can take care of while you're gone, too, that might help - a new bunny or a new soft toy that he can cuddle with and take care of so that the bunny (or whatever) won't worry might take his mind off things.

Good luck!! :)

Blogger Carbon said...
Yeah, i heard that Unicef will not be sending out the little boxes for trick or treating anymore. THey instead will leave it up to schools to come up with ways to fundraise.

I just throw our pumpkins out. They're frozen cuz of the cold weather we had. boo hoo.

Blogger Hillary said...
Yeah, I was gonna say waht Carbon said - they're not collecting that way anymore (so if you DID get boxes coming around, those ilttle tykes are enterprising!)

As for the 'punkins...' I say find a safe place and have fun smashing 'em! Alas, that doesn't seem too practical, now does it. But FUN! It sounds FUN!

Blogger SlushTurtle said...
I think it must be in Canada that they are not doing that anymore. I looked at their website and I could get supplies at loads of local stores. Strange...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I like the last idea. It seems somewhat cathartic.

Blogger Seri said...
I second the last idea as well. Neighbors are annoying....