December 28, 2006
What do you make of that?
I was driving across town today, following a rather old Toyota, marveling at the great condition of the body and paint job. It was really remarkable, as the car looked like it was from the late 80's.

Stopped behind said Toyota at a stoplight, I noticed the gentlemen driver leaning out his window to get a closer look at some roadkill. The roadkill was a squirrel, who had had the misfortune to have a tire roll over its head. The body and fluffy tail were in perfect condition, but the head (or what should have been the head) was a big blob of white and red goo.

Imagine my surprise when the light turned green, but instead of driving forward, the gentleman in front of me put his car in park, opened the door, leaned down, grabbed Fluffy the squirrel by the tail, and placed him in the vicinity of his passenger seat. Thankfully, there was no one in his passenger seat.

Then he closed his door, put the car in gear, and drove away with his bounty.

I just don't know what to make of that.
8 Comments:
Blogger Damselfly said...
Roadkill stew?

Or he may have been trying to save a bird's life. If I have a chance -- and an empty bag in my car -- I will use the bag to pick up and carry a carcass to where I can dispose of it. I learned this at a wildlife festival. Birds of prey like vultures (but also other birds) get hit on roads because they are eating the roadkill. That just compounds the roadkill problem. I know it sounds weird! But true.

Blogger beth said...
You know, I've seen this behavior when I lived in the South and the few I actually knew (ok, not few - one) who did it did indeed take it home to eat it.

I like the idea of saving a bird's life better though cause, well, eating roadkill gives me the heebie jeebies.

Blogger Amy said...
I actually do have relatives that would take a deer home (if they hit it) but squirrel? I don't know about squirrel. Maybe the guy is auditioning for Survivor or Fear Factor or something and this is practice!

Blogger SlushTurtle said...
I gotta tell you guys, all the birds in the land would have to be in serious trouble before I would pick up roadkill for them. AND, I'd have to be suited up in a hazmat suit or something...

And now I'm thinking we have to buy new vehicles, because who knows what's been hauled around in a used one... L will be so thrilled.

Blogger Aaron and Sara said...
That is sooo funny!!! At least he's a clean taxadermist. Probably going to make a nice squirrel tail to hang from his rearview mirror.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
well, it sounds to me that you need to take your camera with you more often...ht

Blogger Hillary said...
Eeeeeww! That's just yicky. Maybe it was his kid's pet squirrel??? (yah right) I dunno man. That's just wrong.

Blogger Katrina said...
Ummm...making a squirrel-skin coat, perhaps? That takes like a million squirrels, which would explain why he couldn't just pass up a free on on the side of the road.