June 6, 2007
My psychological experiment
Since the arrival of H2, Hatchling has been sure to tell us 847 times a day that he is a tiny baby. He has driven this point home by his refusal to clean his room, mind his mother, or use the potty. I have tried to be nice, to reassure him that while he will always be my baby, he is in fact a big boy. Yesterday, I decided to try a new tactic. If he wants to be a tiny baby, he's going to enjoy all the perks and privileges that go along with it.

I served him baby cereal (does anyone else think it smells like wallpaper sizing? Oddly enough, I like that smell...) for lunch. For dinner, creamed peas with baby cereal. And milk out of bottles, of course. Daddy and I had hot dogs, chips and strawberries, all among Hatchling's favorites. Bed time was early, just like H2's. No tv, because tiny babies don't watch tv. No soccer with Daddy, and no working in the garage with Daddy. You get the picture.

This morning, after two bites of plain baby cereal, Hatchling ran upstairs to put on big boy underwear. He was tired of it. He was thus allowed to enjoy big boy diversions until this afternoon. After his nap, he peed and pooped in his pants. Poor baby. Now he's taking an unusual 2nd nap, because tiny babies nap a lot in my house. Oh, and I'm making him crawl everywhere, cause everyone knows babies can't walk.

Hell hath no fury like a mother who has just cleaned poop off of her carpet.
8 Comments:
Blogger Hillary said...
I'm sorry... this cracks me up! I'm terrible, I know. But ah, you're clever. Locked in the battle of wits with a toddler, and you just came out on top! Go you! :) Gotta love 'logical consequences.'

Blogger Amy said...
Exactly what I would have done, too!! It's a great way for him to see that it's actually FUN to be a big boy!! Good to see it didn't take him long to come around!

Blogger SlushTurtle said...
Alas, he had another accident this morning. Fear not, though. I plan on making sure that tiny babies have no fun. And even if he doesn't come around, I have so much time on my hands with all of his extra nap time! :)

Blogger lawyerchik said...
Way to go, Slush!! :) He'll figure out soon enough that it is much more fun to be a big boy than a tiny baby, although he probably just misses having mama's undivided attention.

Blogger Carbon said...
Oh my. I'm sorry you have to deal with that! Not fun at all.

I hear you about the poop on carpet, just posted about that yesterday, except it was another child's poop. have mercy.

Blogger lawyerchik said...
"Hell hath no fury like a mother who has just cleaned poop off of her carpet."

How about like a dogmother who has just taken all of the bedding off the bed because her baby peed on it? >:(

Blogger Jill said...
Oh how glad I am to read what you did! I only have a few more months until I fear I will be tested just like this. Baby #1 began telling me before I even realized I was pregnant that she was a baby and wanted me to feed her bottle to her. She's 3. God help us when little brother arrives. I will surely remember this post!!

Blogger Aaron and Sara said...
you are one funny momma!!! LOVE IT! I can TOTALLY see you making him crawl. That is really a clever tactic, cuzz.