October 15, 2007
I've got the blues
The post-adoption paperwork blues, that is. Who knew there were equal amounts of paperwork to be done once you got home? I thought it was all done before you had the baby, you know, when you still had time for paperwork. Alas, no.

I need to get H2 a social security card (for which one of us will have to go the bank to get his passport, and then go to the social security office, which I don't relish. They weren't nice when I got married and changed my name...).

I need to file for a new, super duper amended Certificate of Citizenship, since we changed his name (for which I need his original CoC, which I'm not keen to put in the mail, a copy of our court documents, passport photos, and check for a cool $380).

I need to file for the return of original documents that were submitted to immigration when we entered the U.S. with boyo (for which I need a copy of my drivers license and passport, a copy of H2's birth certificate, passport and CoC, and some notarization action). And sometime, I need to get the kid a U.S. passport!

Egads. I'm overwhelmed. And I hate filling out all these forms that tell you at the end that if you have filled in a box incorrectly, expect soldiers at your door to drag you into the street, where you will be tarred and feathered in front of you neighbors without due process. As if I need that added pressure.

And to top it all off, I have the mother of all TMJ pains going on. I'm not sure what is wrong with me, but I'm definitely broken. 33 and fallin' to pieces. So sad...
5 Comments:
Blogger ~cjoy said...
Better you than me with all that paperwork. I'd be full of anxiety, too...I like paperwork, but not THAT kind. Making phone calls in relation to them would be even worse. And to think...you have two kids to keep you distracted while you deal with said errands, paperwork and deadlines. Poor Slush.

Oh, and if you believe in chiropractors, whine a bit about your TMJ. A good one will know what to do and can work miracles. I promise. I was shocked by what mine did in one visit!

Blogger Sig said...
As soon as we got home I did the name change.
And then I stalled.
ugh.

I will second the chiropractor!!!

Blogger SlushTurtle said...
I went to the chiropractor twice last week! I guess I need to go back (it is better, just not all the way). I just hate to keep spending money!

Blogger lawyerchik said...
WOW! That is a lot of work!! Why does he need a Social Security card already? It just makes it easier for someone to steal his identity when he's six years old.....

Just kidding. (No, really.)

Good luck with the governmental process (- it isn't something that you could deliver to them in person and wait for them to return your originals, is it?)

Blogger Damselfly said...
My brother and sister-in-law will be doing this, too -- they are in Guatemala to bring home their son! I told my SIL about your blog. I'm so glad they were able to adopt their baby considering the current adoption process now.