June 30, 2008
I'll huff and I'll puff
In honor of my quickly approaching 34th birthday (don't tell anyone... I'm thinking about staying 33 for at least another year or so), I took myself to ye olde diagnostic clinic today for a complete pulmonary workup.

Why would I do such a thing? Well, I have this friend. Shocking, I know. Anyway, she's a drug rep for something or other, and she works with some asthma drugs either directly or indirectly, I can't remember which (it's no wonder it comes as a surprise that I have a friend, now is it?). She has been on my case for a couple of years about getting tested, because she is pretty sure that I at least have exercise-induced asthma, if not the whole shebang. Incidentally, she's also the person who diagnosed my accidental pregnancy with Hatchling. What a know-it-all (I love her anyway... or maybe I love her because she knows everything. I like to be informed...). I actually was going to get tested a couple of years ago, and then L realized he didn't have any life insurance on me, so I waited. And today was the day.

I don't remember all the names of the things they did to me. Basically, I got to sit in a little Plexiglas booth and blow in a big tube. I kind of felt like I was on a Japanese game show. Or at least one of those commercials for a Japanese game show. I would never stoop watching something that inane and trivial (I totally would, but I haven't. I do find the commercials entertaining.).

Wow, I have made this post long and painful. Is it as painful for you as it is for me? I'm so sorry. The long and short of it is.... I probably have asthma (I told you she knows everything). Some number where a difference of 12% between me au natural and me on albuterol meant probable asthma had a difference of 19%. I've always been an over achiever. So now I wait for the report to go to my doctor and see where we go from there.
7 Comments:
Blogger Shan said...
Oh Boo Boo! That doesn't sound like a good thing to have since you DO like to exercise. Bummer. It was very adult of you to go get it checked though. ;)

Blogger Jessica said...
Wow...you can tell your getting older when that's what you chose to give yourself as a birthday present :) Love lots!! Happy upcoming birthday where you'll remain 33!!

Blogger TheOilHippie said...
Well that stinks. Glad you have a friend. And glad that friend suggested that you get tested. Happy 33rd??? Birthday :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Well Tink - you take after your Aunt Daisy...I have asthma too.... so it is inherited. just make sure you use your med's and do what they tell you ok? I love you and again HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Blogger AfricaBleu said...
Happy birthday, Slushy. I love you, all sick or not.

Blogger lawyerchik said...
Well, happy birthday, Slush!! :) Sucky birthday present, but then again, knowledge is power so maybe the gift of power is a good one for the 34th birthday! Hope you and yours have a wonderful 4th!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.