July 24, 2008
We'll Miss You Granny...

L's Granny died yesterday. She was, hmmm... how old was she? Ninety something. Maybe 96? Definitely mid-nineties, I know. She had been on the downhill slide for the 8 years or so that I have known her, finally being moved into a nursing home and then another facility when they couldn't care for her anymore. She was in the last stages of dementia, and scared because she didn't know anyone or what was happening to her, so it is an answer to prayer that she has finally gone home to be with the Lord.

Please pray for L's Mom and her sister, as they were extremely close to her. While they know she is in a better place, and they are happy to see her suffering end, they are of course very sad to not have her with them. We'll be heading over to L's hometown this afternoon for the funeral tomorrow.

There have been some interesting discussions with Hatchling over this news, as this is the first death to touch him that he has noticed (when my Nanny died, he was only two). We explained to him that most people die when they are old, but sometimes you can die when you are young, and that is why we are always trying to get him to be careful. He was nonplussed. Then he wanted to know how, exactly, people died. I told him it could be lots of different ways. "Do they go into the forest?" he queried. "Ummm... they could go to the forest," I replied. "Yeah, that's what I thought. Old people go to the forest and then they die." He seems to have it all figured out, the little spas.
6 Comments:
Blogger lawyerchik said...
Oh, Slush, I'm so sorry! You're right - on one hand, you are glad that there is an end to suffering and reunion with loved ones on the other side, but on the other, you miss them. God be with you and your family as you go through this time.....

Blogger Jessica said...
:( What a long life! Ah...all the changes and things she must have seen in such a span of time. And now to be in the arms of the Almighty! I'll be praying for you guys, even with someone at such a beautiful age, it's never easy...and how stinkin' cute is the forest comment?!?! Sweet boy. I like that a lot.

Blogger AfricaBleu said...
Tell L I'm sorry, Slush. And give those boys of yours a hug for me--Colin loves to quote your eldest saying, "I can't, Momma," as his legs moved as fast as they could in the opposite direction when you told him to come back to the porch.

Blogger Shan said...
I'm sorry for L's family too. I know it is a relief for the person suffering sometimes but losing a loved one is just such a tough concept for any of us to take.
Your little boy is good for a laugh even when he's being philosophical isn't he? What a guy. :)

Yesterday we were at the playground at G's school and little D had to go number dos suddenly so I said "OH, then we have to leave." G suggested D go in the forest and pointed to the trees just beyond him. I said this "forest" you speak of is just a couple trees in the fenced in playground." Bahha. City kid. These things, combined with the Blair witch project may just keep me out of forests entirely.

Blogger Aaron and Sara said...
Me, too, I'm sorry for the loss. Its so hard EVERYTIME and it doesnt help that they are old. Their spirits are so alive and it just hurts to have that missing on the earth. Love to your family. Miss you.

Blogger Katrina said...
My prayers are with you and the kids and all who will be missing your sweet gran. I love Hatchling's idea. Going into the forest to die doesn't sound so bad, somehow.